Saturday, August 25, 2007

Graffiti (by Michelle)

Ever since we've been here, the kids have had an endless fascination with graffiti. Perhaps this is because, since birth, they've been taught that, "Paper is for drawing and writing, not walls and furniture." Now they discover that I'm wrong.
I haven't lived in a big city in the US so I don't know, but there seems to be a lot more graffiti here than there. The entire train route into Madrid is one long line of graffiti. And Eva never tires of saying, "Look Mom, graffiti."


Dinner table conversations: graffiti vs. murals (when is it legitimate?)
(wh
en is it art?), public art, breaking the law, what makes good graffiti, etc.

To be fair I believe that these last three were murals, but sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference. Some of it is colorful, playful and sometimes artistic.
Usually, though, it's lots of mediocre graffiti "scribbles" like on this ramp/overpass that we take almost everyday.

5 comments:

steph said...

Michelle,I love your photos! Graffiti art is the best,the geisha is amazing. I saw a thing about graffiti artists in Iraq bringing their art to the streets and it was such an inspiring story of humanity. Anyway,the pictures are so fun. Thanks.

Linds said...

Some of the graffiti really is kind of pretty, isn't it?! They should put their talents to better use! I love your family and I'm so glad I'm here in Spain with all of you. :)

Linds said...

Some of the graffiti really is kind of pretty, isn't it?! They should put their talents to better use! I love your family and I'm so glad I'm here in Spain with all of you. :)

Linds said...

Alex, Simon and Eva - remember how you told me about the lizards and bugs you've seen? I saw two lizards today while I was walking and it made me think about you! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
We have had many conversations with the boys about graffiti. They love it. Sometimes we go down by the old freedom academy to watch the trains (or the graffiti) go by. Stephen has a lesson plan that he did with the highschoolers all about graffiti.