

I can’t believe that we are already leaving the Basque Country. I love it here and will really miss living in our little country home. It has been magical – the nightly walks in the forest, the daily bread delivery (it is like a milkman, but he brings fresh baguettes every day!), meeting the relatives, exploring everywhere (we've been everywhere and it is all picturesque here), and of course, the beach. I’ve even grown accustomed to the roosters outside our window. It has been fortunate having this cabin to ourselves.
Of course, not everything is magical and great. Every few days one of us has a “why are we here?” breakdown. The kids have to weather a snug ride in the back of our economy sized car. We spend lots of time driving around and, boy, do the Basques know how to make a road! Up and down and lots of around and around on skinny little roads. (actually the interstate is a fabulous road, but we are often exploring some pretty obscure spots) Pobrecito Simon, who gets a little car sick, is being a trooper and tries to distract himself by giving Eva art lessons in the car. Yesterday I heard him say, “Eva, in a few days I will give you an assignment to draw a landscape to see if you remember everything I’ve taught you.” Maybe we’ll post the results of final exam on our blog. Alex likes listening to books on tape in the car (actually, I guess it would be “mp3 files on an mp3 player” but it doesn’t have quite the same ring to it). He’s gotten through several entire books already.
Overall, though we look forward to many things in Madrid, we’ll really miss the people here, the beautiful countryside and the overall peace we've felt here. It's been great. Agur!

No comments:
Post a Comment