Sunday, September 30, 2007

Blowin' in the Wind (by Michelle)

I almost had a heart attack this week. Lindsey and I spent a fun day in Madrid. (Lindsey is one of our students who has been a great friend to me and the kids. If Lindsey is around, Eva is by her side. And we all love having her around.) We went to the Real Academia de Bellas Artes (an art museum that used to the be the art school that Picasso and Dali attended-rather unhappily), we bought tickets for the soccer game and then we went to the airport to "pick up" Malcolm who is visiting from BYU. ("Pick-up" means great him and then navigate the metros and trains back to Alcala together.)

Anyway, the heart attack . . . after buying the tickets
I pulled my camera out of my purse to snap a picture while crossing the street forgetting that this purse-pocket was where I had stashed the tickets. Suddenly 100 euros worth of tickets were blowing in the traffic-wind on the side of a very busy road. Lindsey and I looked at each other for a split second that went in slow motion. We had done a good job that day of speaking mostly Spanish, but you can only really freak-out in your native language. "Ohmygosh!!" We scrambled to stomp on the blowing tickets. Fortunately we were able to get them without much hassle (and without being hit by a car), but it was a scary moment.

I was still collecting my wits so Lindsey snapped the picture I had hoped to get as we crossed the street. (hardly worth $140) The leaning buildings in the background are called the Doors of Europe.

No comments: