Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Cordoba Again (by Michelle)

Again, and thank goodness. Not that we didn't enjoy touring with the students, but it was great to do it again with our relatives and not be as rushed this time around. And, to the thrill of our kids, NO TOUR GUIDES!




For me, I was glad to take some more pictures of the Mezquita. Though I always enjoy
the Arabic architecture (like the ancient and impressive entry way on the right), this time I also noticed the light coming into this side chapel above and thought it was quite pretty.




I also love this pic
ture of Rosemary in the Mezquita-- how she is still and contemplative and the rest of the scene is a little out of focus. Again, we could wax poetic; it does seem fitting to her personality.





Afterwards our family treated us to a restaurant (a welcome break from the sack lunch routine) called ,"El Burlaero" which is the word for the wooden wall that bullfighters can run behind for refuge. For me the highlight was a grilled pork loin steak that was almost as tender and good as any beef steak I've had. I don't know how they do that! Anyway, it was a fun meal in a lovely indoor patio with of pictures of matadors and bullfights on the walls and 3 elderly waiters doting on us as if we were celebrities.

Later we went to the archaeological dig, Azahar. It is sprawling and maze-like and we immediately all got separated from each other. Each of us assumed, "Oh, the kids are with the others." But we discovered later that Eva, Sarah, and Alex were on their own for a good portion of our time there. They did the right thing and stayed put, but it wasn't until Alex got tired of waiting for the rescue that he ventured out and found us. They survived just fine though and Eva and Sarah had fun imagining the palace that was once there.

No comments: